February 14, 2012

Relationships are highly overrated

It's Valentine's Day. I read some stories today about how being in a relationship can help you live longer, improve the quality of your life, help you lose weight, and improve your sex life (really?). All I can say to that is bah humbug.

My position may be somewhat unusual, I don't know, but I do know this: My health improved, my mood improved, and my sex life definitely improved when I finally made the choice to become single.

From 1980 to 2003 I was always in a relationship (four all together, one at a time). I never made time to find out what it was like to live successfully on my own. I was too scared, I think. I thought I couldn't live without a relationship.

Unfortunately, I don't have a very good partner-picker. I chose partners who were not all that good for me and who were unlikely to change. Not a happy combination. Lucky for me there is a Twelve Step program for magical thinking.

All those years I spent orbiting other people's lives took a toll on me, emotionally and physically. When I finally allowed myself to claim my independence in 2003, I made a promise to myself that I would never again allow someone else to invade my mental and physical space without my permission.

So, here's to Valentine's Day. Maybe someday I'll find the love that some other people have been lucky enough to find. Until that day, I'm content to be with myself.