June 26, 2012

All aboard the bus to Point Despair and parts beyond

Whenever I hit a roadblock in my writing, I open up the blog, my cry to heaven. The blog listens and doesn't talk back. Everyone should have a blog or two, for each of their personalities. Oh, wait, am I the only one with multiple...? Come on, you have a nest of mean, spiteful dwarfs in your mental cave too, admit it.

Speaking of personalities, yesterday I conducted an experiment on my six-person business management class. These are the healthcare admin majors, all women in their late 20s-early 30s, who (a) think they know all they need to know about business, having already taken the upper level organizational management class (a scheduling glitch), and (b) think that they will never need to know anything about business, because soon they will be employed at some big hospital, taking orders from a boss they don't like or respect, performing tasks they couldn't care less about, and waiting for the day when they can finally do what they want (hair designer, auto mechanic, photographer).

It confounds me that they would intentionally detour away from their dreams into the bleak corporate world of managed healthcare. I prostituted myself to the corporate world in order to survive, but it was never an intentional life plan! After they told me their plans to achieve their dreams, and bluntly told me (a) they didn't care about the material, (b) the class is a waste of time, and (c) they are only attending because of the attendance requirement, well, you can imagine how useless I felt. I gaped at them like a puffer fish. The first thing I said was, “I don't know what to say.” They all laughed.

So the next class period, I led them in a decision making exercise. Their mission: to decide how they wanted to spend the last three weeks of the term. We brainstormed a list of activities. I was the scribe. Predictable suggestions filled the board: Work on the course project. Skip the last quiz. Have the teacher give us all the answers to the last quiz. I wrote down everything they said, and added one of my own. (Do an activity of Carol's choice instead of discussing the material.)

When we ran dry of ideas, I asked them to vote on their top two or three choices. The winners: Go to the lab to work on the project, and Do an activity of Carol's choice. Wow. I sure wasn't expecting that. (And no, I did not allow myself a vote.)

Hence, yesterday's experiment. I proposed another decision making technique known as Six Hats Thinking, introduced by Edward de Bono. It's a colorful group technique that uses parallel thinking to discuss a problem and arrive at possible solutions. Each participant in the group wears an imaginary hat and assumes a role associated with the hat color. Accordingly, I made table tents with each color: White Hat (focuses on the facts), Black Hat (devil's advocate), Red Hat (emotional perspective), Green Hat (creative solutions), Yellow Hat (the bright side), Blue Hat (the facilitator), and I added one extra hat, Purple Hat (the ethical perspective). I figured I deserved some extra points for the cool table tents, if nothing else. (I should have made paper hats, darn, why didn't I think of that sooner?)

It would have been a great experiment with a different group. First off, two of the six students were absent. The four that were left eyed my table tents with skepticism. The hair stylist wannabe said, “I'm getting a bad feeling.”

“Where is your sense of adventure?” I asked, faking a smile. “Your sense of curiosity?”

She looked at me like I had dirty underwear on my head. Disbelief mixed with disgust. Ignoring her look, I took the Blue Hat tent for myself and let them each choose their hat color from the remaining tents, working off the premise that if you want a child to participate willingly you offer her a choice. (Do you want to wear the Monkees t-shirt or the Bob Dylan t-shirt?) They grabbed and fought over the table tents, and I waited, content to let the universe decide the outcome. When the dust settled, everyone had a table tent designating their hat color, including the two empty spaces where the absent students usually sat. We were a group, in spirit, if not in body.

As Blue Hat, my job was to facilitate each person's role, helping them consider the problem from the perspective of their hat color. I presented the first scenario: should Congress approve a national AIDS database registry to help researchers collect information to help stem the spread of AIDS in Africa? I read the scenario, and then waited. We all stared at each other. They could tell I was waiting for someone to say something.

“I don't understand,” said Yellow Hat.

“Your hat looks on the bright side,” I explained encouragingly. “What are all the positive reasons to create a national database of AIDs victims?”

“I don't know what you mean. I don't see any positive reasons.”

“Do you see any negative reasons? Maybe you can put on the Black Hat for a moment, since Ariana isn't here today.”

“What?”

Eventually we got a discussion rolling. In a few minutes, after some heated debate, Green Hat came up with a solution that satisfied Red Hat and Purple Hat. We were triumphant. I won't describe the other two scenarios, except to say the last one, on whether the Affordable Healthcare Act mandate requiring young people to purchase should be allowed to stand, brought out an immediate and emphatic “No!” from all parties the moment I finished reading the scenario. It seems clear I am the only bleeding heart liberal in the bunch, if not in the entire school. 


Tonight I only have two classes, one of which is another section of business management. The one student (yes, one student left standing) loves the world of business, intends to be self-employed, and slurps up all the information and stories I present. We leave the class still talking. We walk up the stairs still talking. He wants more. He's the ideal learner. He doesn't need me. I'm just a catalyst for learning, not the source. Suddenly there is hope. I'm not on the bus to Point Despair anymore. Somewhere along the route I transferred onto the bus to Acceptance Avenue. Maybe someday I'll make it onto the bus to Hope Harbor. That's iffy, though. It doesn't run nearly as often as the bus to Point Despair.