February 03, 2012

Back in dissertation hell

I knew this would happen. I'm two weeks into my first dissertation course, and already getting feedback from my Chair is like pulling teeth. Argh. I feel like I'm being gaslighted. I can't believe she would deliberately be so--what's the word? Schizophrenic? What do you call it when someone's actions don't match their words?

She approved my (laughably unrealistic) timeline. She emailed that she would read the paper over the weekend. (That was last weekend). She sounded so enthusiastically supportive in her email, so chatty and encouraging. And then, nothing, not a peep, not a word of feedback, not even, "This sucks. Resubmit." Nothing.

This is what I hate about... life, I guess. That people are at times so predictable, and other times so frustratingly perplexing. I want so much to trust her. I want to have faith. I will forgive her almost anything. But her actions, or lack thereof, erode my ability to trust. Eventually I will be reduced to an automaton, saying whatever it takes to get through this and leave her behind. It's so bleak, and we've only just begun.

What if I were to have a conversation with her about my concerns? What if I emailed my advisor? Lots of luck, is what I think. I suppose communication breakdowns happen in any institution, but it seems particularly destructive when it happens in an all-online environment, where all we have is email and the rare phone call to communicate our frustration and reassurance.