February 18, 2012

My life is a farce

I'm back in dissertation hell. I'm four weeks into my first dissertation course, waiting for my Chair to give me feedback on my concept. We've been playing email tag. Then voice mail tag. I keep asking the same thing: I need feedback on my concept. For four weeks, I've been... well, I've been writing this stupid blog. Waiting.

At last we connected by email, chose a time to talk on the phone. I was set to call her at 12:30 pm. At 11:00, the phone rang while I was in the process of burning my eggs. It was my Chair, calling from somewhere in the deep South. "Just thought I'd try you," she warbled. "What can I help you with?"

I came right out with it. "I want feedback on my concept paper." I didn't add the part about, remember that concept paper I wrote four months ago, that you never gave me one speck of feedback on? What's up with that weird sh-t?

After some short chit chat, she casually remarked, "Why don't you upload the paper to the course room and I'll take a look at it over the weekend?"

I was aghast. What! All this time I thought she had the paper. She was my mentor during the course where I wrote the thing, how could she not have the paper? Argh.

"Ok, I'll upload the paper right away," I sighed. "I wish I'd known that you didn't have access to the course room."

She laughed. "Yes, they don't tell you that, do they?" I wasn't finding this amusing, but she clearly was.

Some more small chit chat, and then she sang out. "Thanks, Sweetie! Bye-bye!" And she was gone.

So now I'm Sweetie. I assume that she calls all her learners Sweetie. Probably that is what they do in the South, I don't know. I don't mind being called Sweetie if it makes her feel connected and helpful. I just wish she really was connected and helpful.

We have plans to talk again on Tuesday. Like that is going to happen. I guess I'll send her another email. Maybe I'll sign it "Sweetie," and see if that helps.