March 20, 2012

Eat, poop, complain: the chronic malcontent shares again

Spring is here, but you wouldn't know it. Typical Pacific Northwest spring. Snow, hail, rain, wind, and the occasional fleeting sunbreak just to taunt us into leaving the house without an umbrella. Actually true Oregonians don't bother with umbrellas, did you know that? Umbrellas just blow inside out, or get left in cafes and buses. I had a really nice one when I was in college (the first time around), huge and striped yellow, red, blue, and white like a loud golf umbrella, the kind of umbrella that would belong to a golfer who would step right in your line on the green and laugh about it. Left it on the 19 bus, I think, or in the Portland State library. Now I don't bother, who cares, it's just water. On some level, I must deserve to get sopping wet. Otherwise I would drag up and move to Palm Springs.


There is more than just the weather to complain about when one is a chronic malcontent. This week, while I wait for the mysterious committee to reject my concept paper, I'm back to bitching about the basics: I'm female and 55. Need I say more? Every stupid stereotype about aging females is true. I won't dwell on the particulars except to say that I expect to show up to work in the very near future sporting a luxurious mustache on my upper lip. Be sure to watch for that.

More of my life lies behind me than lies in front of me. I'm feeling pretty inadequate. Most people by the time they join AARP can reel off a list of accomplishments: a career, some real estate, an SUV or two, maybe a couple of mostly grown kids, a spouse or two or three, a 401K. Soon, they will be enjoying retirement in a 40-foot Winnebago with their significant other/soulmate, heading for an all-amenities-included campground in Sedona. These people did everything in the right order: college, career and family, then retirement. They zipped through time like a speedboat, crossing the ocean of life in a straight line. They didn't dawdle, they didn't detour. They got the job of working done, and now they get to live the American dream.

I didn't cut through time like a speedboat. My path has been more like an old lumbering wooden trawler, weighed down by barnacles and bottom feeders (AKA my relationships). My career boat wandered from port to port and foundered any number of times trying to steer around the rocks of commitment. Each time I abandoned ship: When you don't have a career, every job is a temp job. When I look back at my wake, I don't see a graceful symmetrical fan spreading out behind me. I see a wobbly, wavering path littered with the flotsam and jetsam of my erratic life.

When I look ahead, the only RV I see in my future is a broken down bus or conversion van, parked in some  dusty campground where it ran out of gas. Actually, as long as it is warm and dry, that doesn't sound too bad.