February 23, 2013

The Chronic Malcontent is a... what!? No way!

Yesterday I drove to the campus in Wilsonville for our quarterly in-service. Some time back one of the program directors thought it would be a good idea if we had in-service on the day after the end of the term. Sadly, faculty weren't consulted, and now we have three fewer hours to finish our grades and prepare for the new start on Monday. More like four hours if you count the time lost driving to Wilsonville. Luckily, I have the weekend to grade and prep, right? More like, luckily, I still have a job.

This post isn't about how frustrating it is to be required to sit in workshops for three hours when I could be grading Access exams, although it's always satisfying to vent. No, this post is about something that happened in one of the workshops.

We are usually given a choice of workshop topics. The options for session 1 were LinkedIn or Positive Psychology Part 1. The options for session 2 were Multiple Intelligence or Positive Psychology Part 2. You've heard me talk about my tendency to look on the dark side. You know I call myself a chronic malcontent. It's not that I'm not satisfied with my role as... resident cynic. But lately I've been pondering the idea that if you keep doing what you've always done, you will get what you have always gotten. Bad grammar, I know, but you get my drift. The so-called Law of Attraction and all that stuff.

So I chose to attend the Positive Psychology sessions. I went in with an open-mind, to learn, like an anthropologist peering through tall grass at a newly discovered indigenous tribe. What will I hear, who will I see? Is everyone here part of the happy tribe? Or will there be any other malcontents lurking in the bush?

About twelve people attended, mostly folks from the medical department. If you know anything about medical faculty at a career college, you know they are the most outgoing (loudest), most people-oriented (drama, drama, drama), most compassionate (nosy parkers) of all the departments. I sat next to Molly (not her real name) who has oddly enough become a friend of sorts. She is the type of person the moniker Little Mary Sunshine was coined for. Seriously, she's over the top maniacally ebullient, all the freaking time. She likes me because she saw me drawing goofy characters in my notebook at a previous in-service. Her 21-year-old son is an artist, which is to say he lives at home and does nothing. I guess she recognizes something in me that reminds her of her son.

Our facilitator Trish (older gal, wheezing with the dregs of the flu) showed us a TED video of a self-styled positivity guru Shawn Achor, and then challenged us to take a pledge to do five things for 21 days. “It will change your life,” she wheezed. I list them here in case you want to try it yourself: (1) make a gratitude list, (2) journal about a positive experience every day, (3) exercise, (4) meditate, and (5) perform a random act of kindness.

“Get with a partner now and practice this together,” Trish directed in a cracked version of her school teacher voice. I turned to Molly and asked how her son was doing. “He joined the Furry Convention,” she said in frustration. “He made his own costume!” We were in a computer lab. While the other medical faculty were flailing about doing sloppy jumping jacks and knocking into things, I looked up Furry Convention. Wow, cool. People make costumes and hang out. Why didn't I know about this when I was 21? I didn't say that to Molly. “Best thing you can do is kick him out of the house,” I said bluntly.

“Ok, class!” Trish wheezed. “Now I want you to take the Optimism test.”

The pessimistic cynic in me mentally rubbed her hands in glee. At last, a test to prove I am a malcontent. All this positivity stuff is great, but I really just wanted validation for my self-inflicted moroseness. I registered on the website and dove into the 32-question questionnaire. The medical faculty were cackling loudly. Trish was talking over them, trying to sell us on the idea of being more optimistic. I said to Trish, “If you want me to fill out this survey, I'm going to need you to stop talking.”

“What?” Trish said.

“Stop talking!”

There was an awkward silence. We all got down to it. The questions came in pairs. Many of them were about relationships. Nothing seemed to apply to me. I floundered in confusion at first, but rallied and forged ahead, finishing first. Clicked the button: Calculate. A moment later, a series of graphs appeared. I stared in shock. Out of 8 possible points, I had scored a 7 on optimism, and a 2 on pessimism! No, this can't be! I'm the chronic malcontent!

I furtively hid my graphs and leaned over to see Molly's results. She scored a 2 on optimism and a 7 on pessimism, the exact opposite of me. No way!

I had to read the fine print and think past my defenses. Eventually, I understood. The questions were worded so that one of the pair represented a permanent situation, while the other one reflected a temporary situation. The idea is that optimists will consider positive situations enduring and permanent and judge negative situations temporary and fleeting. Apparently I have been looking on the bright side all along. I just hid that fact from myself. This is not unlike the day I looked in the mirror and realized I had grown a mustache.

What can I say. The jury is in. The former malcontent is outed. I've been a closet optimist all along. Please don't tell anyone.