February 03, 2013

I may have to emote at some point

I've been buried in my literature review almost every moment I haven't been working, sleeping, or attending a meeting. I forgot the Superbowl was today. Not that I would have watched it, probably, but since I am a student of marketing, I have a half-hearted professional interest in the commercials. I don't feel bad. I can watch them tomorrow from the student lab at work. That will help me stay awake.

One good thing in being alone a lot is that I don't have much contact with other people, especially sick people. So far I have managed to avoid the flu bug. Knock on high-density particle board. I don't know how I have been so lucky. Zinc, maybe? Irascibility, maybe? My friend Bravadita is suffering mightily and dosing heavily. Hope you feel better soon.

Another benefit to being single is that you don't have to keep track of other people much. When I was in  a relationship, everything I did, every thought I thought, was in relation to my partner. He existed, I orbited. My sister's boyfriend has gone AWOL in a foreign country. She's distraught with worry. I would be, too, if I had allowed myself to commit to (rather than collide with) another person's fortunes. I've never been much of a joiner. For her sake, I hope he turns up soon.

I feel reluctant to whine when others are suffering. But what the heck. People are suffering all the time, everywhere. I can't keep my whining on hold indefinitely. I am the Chronic Malcontent, after all. It's my job to whine. Right now I'm too tired to whine. I have too many big words floating in my head. Ontology. Epistemology. The icons on my desktop are starting to come loose when I blink. I guess that means my eyes are crossing or something. I just wanted to write something, to let you know I'm still emoting.