October 13, 2012

Why I hate Linked In

I check my email pretty much every day. Today there was an invitation to link up on LinkedIn from a colleague at work. Without thinking, I clicked the happy blue Accept button and was instantly transported to a page that overwhelmed me with networking possibilities. There was a list of smiling people LinkedIn thought I might know and should link to. There was my new “friend's” smiling face: isn't it great, now we're linked or connected or whatever you call it. And then I saw how many friends, buddies, colleagues he had, and I started to sweat. Two-hundred and forty. I have, like, 35. Now I'm connected through my new friend to all his friends.

I feel like I just stood in my open window and took my clothes off. Two-hundred and forty people! A crowd of people who will now receive updates on who their colleague is newly linked to. They will see my insipid picture. Some of them in a moment of boredom may actually click on my link to find out who I am and then laugh derisively at my pathetically puny profile. I've lost my anonymity, which is way more precious to me than any other -ity I may have lost along the way.

I like the guy. And in principle, I see the value in networking. But I'm such a rabid introvert, I cringe at the thought of connecting to any group of strangers. Stranger danger! I feel like my quiet burrow has been invaded by unseen voyeurs.

That is why I treasure this blog. Sure, no one reads it except my sister and my friend Bravadita, but there is an upside to anonymity, and that is I can feel free to be me, to say what I want, to draw what I want. Just me, sitting in the dark in the Love Shack, another faceless bozo blogging on the bus.

Hmmmm. Why don't I feel free to be me in public view? Good question, thanks for asking. Someday, if I want to grow my writing and artistic endeavors, I may have to come out of the cave. Is that what LinkedIn is for me, a foray out of the pseudo-safety of my cave? Apparently I don't associate a professional networking tool with art and writing. Huh. Well, it doesn't matter. Even if there were a LinkedIn for artists and writers (which there probably is), I would still be reluctant to join. I'm an introvert and a chronic malcontent. Just leave me alone in my cave. I'll figure it out someday.

I'll keep using LinkedIn, I guess, mostly because I don't know how to stop. Once your life is on the Internet, it's not yours anymore. I guess that is the answer. I have to proactively embrace networking, because it will happen with or without my consent and participation. I want to have some influence on the shape and direction of my personal networking hell. Maybe I'll change my LinkedIn photo to something obscene or disgusting. A cockroach. A clown. A slut with a cigarette. I wonder if anyone would notice.