July 29, 2012

Toward a theory of malcontentedness

I'm emerging from the long, dark, tortured night of the soul. I think. We'll know for sure after I finish the next version of my dissertation concept paper. I think at long last I have settled on my theoretical framework, one that makes sense with my topic and approach. I think. Of course, I could be wrong. Thinking has never been my strong suit, especially as I've grown older and my brain has turned to a pinched, parched husk in which thoughts rattle around like dried-up nuts.

If I'm not so good at thinking, what is left? Feeling? I can't say I'm all that good at feeling, either. Well. Wait, I take that back. I'm pretty good at feeling anger in all its myriad forms: resentment, bitterness, martyrdom, snarkiness, you know, the typical expressions of a chronic malcontent. Anger is sort of a one-sided approach to expressing feelings, though, even I have to admit. Maybe if my life were different, I would be more likely to sprinkle some ebullience, effervescence, and mirth into the mix. Ha. The idea makes me smirk. When the hellish hand-basket freezes over. Ebullience is highly over-rated. And effervescence is for cleaning dentures. Which I can say with some relief I don't yet have.

So, is that all there is? Thinking and feeling? Cognition and affection? Wait, that can't be right. (Hey, I'm not a psychology major, cut me some slack.) The adjectives would be cognitive and affective. So, would the noun forms be cognition and affection? Bravadita will be able to tell me. Alas, alackaday, I'm caught up in terminology these days: social constructivism, systems thinking, expectancy-disconfirmation theory... la, la, la. To stretch my theoretical muscles, I shall now devise a theory of malcontentedness.

I propose that the condition of malcontentedness is a function of (a) my mood (which is a function of how much sun is striking the earth in the vicinity of Mt. Tabor); (b) the number of phone calls received during a day (more is bad, fewer is better); as a proportion of (c) hour the alarm goes off in the morning (not at all is best); multiplied by (d) how much money is in the bank account (obviously more is better); plus (e) whether or not I have posted in this blog within the past two days (level of malcontentedness decreases in proportion to the number of posts posted).

I could write the theory like this:

M =[ m(S) – P] 
--------------------
A ($ + B)

Where:
M = malcontentedness
m = mood
S = sunshine
P = number of phone calls received
A = hour the alarm goes off
$ = amount of dollars in my bank account
B = number of blog posts posted in past 48 hours

For those of you who are trying to make sense of this formula, don't bother. You will be relieved to know I am proposing a qualitative phenomenological design for my dissertation, in which I will be staying as far away from math as possible.