July 27, 2012

I could never be friends with someone who likes country music

Today I woke up to clouds, and the rest of the day just went to hell from there. George, my landshark, arrived at about nine to continue his work (pounding, sawing, scraping) in the two bathrooms on either side of my burrow. He's retiled the shower/tub stall with shiny white tiles. I know this because I saw an example of his work when I went to tell him my bathroom sink was filling rapidly with milky water. Alarmed, I hotfooted it next door and found him in the bathroom, covered with white tile plaster and grout. It was pretty clear to me that George was washing up in the bathroom sink.

“George, my sink is filling with water. White water.”

“Oh? This sink is draining.”

Duh, dude. It's draining into my sink! I didn't say it. After some hemming and jawing, he said he'd take a look at it—tomorrow. He is apparently in grouting mode, not plumbing mode. I politely admired his tile work for a moment. Then I stomped back to my nest, and in a few moments, the air began to vibrate: He'd cranked his boombox up to some country station. Twang! I would have pegged him for a classic rock guy. Guess we'll never be friends, George and I. Too bad. A friend with plumbing skills can sure come in handy.

Seeking asylum, I went out to the front garden to pull weeds and plant the stringy rosemary my mother had painstakingly rooted herself over a period of several long months. George's full-size pickup truck made a nice barrier between me and the street traffic, but the cafe across the way was going full-swing. The acoustics on this corner are uncannily acute. I can hear everything. How do you like the potatoes? Oh, really, I read that, too! Jeremy, keep your hands to yourself! I had to look up from my labors several times to make sure the diners weren't headed right for me, coming to tell me what to do with last year's collard greens, now four feet high and gone to seed. Add in the frequent 40-foot buses swinging wide around the corner, the occasional pedestrian with baby in stroller, and George's crazy taste in music, and you've got a recipe for a lively morning at the Love Shack.

I heard a familiar sound: the Adventist Hospital laundry truck coming up Belmont, making its way over the hill, carrying fresh linen to Adventist. I have heard this truck for years. I recognize the engine whine and clinking of chains as it trundles around the corner. I never knew it carried laundered linens to Adventist until I found out one of my students works for Adventist. He once mentioned he drives the laundry truck. Today I was curious to see if it was him, but I was afraid to look. I didn't want him to see me wearing grimy grubbies, working in a dilapidated garden, the real me. At that moment a bus came along in the opposite direction; I knew that would occupy the Adventist driver's attention, so I looked right at the driver. Sure enough, it was my student, expertly negotiating the truck past the bus, the corner, the parked cars, and the pedestrians. For a moment I felt proud, like I had something to do with his skill. I smiled. Then I laughed, as it occurred to me that I will be a dusty foot-note to the great things this twenty-year-old kid is going to do with his life. Maybe my words of praise will live on in a letter of recommendation. 


I'm supposed to be working on my concept paper. (Yes, still.) But I also have homework for work. Now that I'm teaching at two campuses, I have to bring work home. Two heavy bags of books and files, one for each aching shoulder. It's like being an adjunct all over again. The homeless, worthless adjunct instructor. There's just too much to do. So what do I do? I turn to this blog to vent to the five people who regularly tune in. And to the folks who stray here by accident, and have actually read this far—(wow, you must have a lot of time on your hands), welcome to the hellish hand-basket.


Now a slippery whiny sound is coming from the bathroom next door. I am guessing George is rubbing his shiny new tiles clean. It sounds like a whimpering dog. My cat is looking askance at me, like, when did we get a dog? I shrug my shoulders at him: dunno. 

And now, to my profound relief, making a late appearance: the sun, or something like it. Cue applause.