June 07, 2012

Beyond this point lie dragons, demons, and monsters

When I'm under pressure from life and want to escape, I read whatever sleazy paranormal romances I can find at the thrift store. I'm always searching for smart funny authors, authentic characters, riveting stories. I can immerse myself in fantasy worlds where all the men are hunky sex gods and all the women have doe eyes, pert breasts, and the ability to have multiple climaxes in the space of five minutes, just by looking at the hunky sex gods. (Look ma, no hands!)

Actually, the best stories are the ones where the men aren't men, but demons, vampires, werewolves, or dragons. And the women are witches, telepaths, vampires, or faeries. In other words, where nobody is human. For the space of an hour or so, I can suspend reality and pretend such an exotic world might really exist. Where men aren't mean and women don't stink. Where love and sex get along like old friends.

Inevitably, however, I must bump back to reality, where no one (no one I know, anyway) is a hunky sex god or goddess, where in fact stories are boring, life is ho-hum, and the only demons reside within us, thankfully mostly hidden.

But not always hidden. Under the ho-hum surfaces of our public selves, our demons are alive and watching for opportunities to manifest in the form of our quirks, our foibles, our peeves, our fetishes... our monsters. We all have them. Don't lie, what's the point. Everyone else can see them, even if you can't. I've mentioned my personal seven dwarfs in a previous rant. I could add a few more: Meany, Slimeball, and Stink-Eye. Oh hey, look, my personal dwarfs are waving at your personal dwarves. Hi, how ya doin.

I know my internal monsters prevent me from having successful love relationships. I don't care. I'm old. I'm all used up. But it's hard to watch others falling prey to creepy villains over which they have no control. Creepy for me, though, might be thoughtful, loving, and kind to someone else. Hell, what do I know. It's not like I have such a great track record.

I used to believe that we all have a soulmate, that special someone we search for through successive lifetimes, the one who completes us, the one that makes us feel alive like no one else can. Having been to relationship hell a few times, I now know that idea is complete and utter shite. The likelihood of finding a perfect soulmate is zero. Even if I could define “perfect,” the idea that somewhere there is only one special someone for me is laughable at best and cruel at worst. Really. The world is a big place, and I'm not all that hard to please. There are probably hundreds of people alive right now, maybe even a few living in this city, who could tolerate me and my personal dwarfs. Right. Then again, maybe not.