April 15, 2012

Writing is like herding cats

Writing is like herding cats. Pulling teeth. Drinking vinegar. I'm trying to write my literature review. Forty to eighty pages is the goal. I'm at about twelve. My eyes are crossed. It's not even 8:00 p.m., and I'm totally bushed. Knackered. Wrecked. Why is this so hard? It's material I've written about for years. Academic quality in for-profit higher education. What could be more interesting? Zzzzzzzzz.

Yes, I'm bored with it. I confess. After five years of circling ever closer to this scintillating topic, like a buzzard honing in on fetid roadkill, I've got the smell of it, the taste of it, I know my topic. Easy to say, difficult to prove. How can I demonstrate to you that I know my topic, and further, that not only do I know it, but I also know a good reason for studying it some more? I need to sound convincing. But with my eyes crossed like this, I doubt anyone would take me seriously.

So, in the face of a literary headwind, I do what all writers do (when they have no ice cream in the freezer): I started a new project. Yep. When faced with extreme overwhelm, the downtrodden throw themselves under the bus. So, now, in addition to the five screenplays, two treatments, one novel, and sundry non-fiction books I have currently in progress, I now have another blog. Wait. Before I talk about the blog, let me just say that most of those projects I've got started are (a) ancient, (b) lame, and (c) unlikely to ever be completed. Just in case you were feeling a tad inadequate or something.

About the new project. Like most people, my life can be divided into phases or stages. Childhood, teenage, young adult, you know what I mean. When I was 20, I moved to Los Angeles to be a fashion designer. (Ha! Bet you couldn't tell that by looking at me now!) Well, it won't come as a surprise to find out I wasn't a huge success, but I did spend about 12 years designing and sewing custom-made clothes, one of the worst jobs of my life, which is really sad considering I was the owner of the company. My blog is about that experience and how to avoid a similar debacle if you possibly can.

You probably aren't interested in starting your own custom clothing design business, so I won't give you a link to the new blog here. I mention it just by way of explaining the difficulty I am having writing my literature review. It's not the act of writing that is distasteful. I'm writing right now, wheeee, look at me go. It's fun and easy. My brain just chugs along, spewing out lame cliches and trite phrases, my fingers chew up the keyboard, and voila: text! Who cares if it makes sense. Not me!

But the daunting, mammoth mountain of the literature review.... argh. I must cull a thousand sources for the ones that tell the story, the story of academic quality that no one cares about, no one will ever read, just so I can jump through the hoops and maybe someday cross the finish line. What will I do then? Thanks for asking. I will update my blogs, eat some ice cream, and take a really, really, really long nap.