May 10, 2013

Is it possible for-profit colleges don't really care about quality?

Where's my vampire mojo when I need it? For the past few days, I have been trying to persuade the media relations person at the corporate headquarters of the local career college where I want to conduct my doctoral study that I am a harmless bumbling academic with no malicious intent. My first attempt failed, so I'm sending another letter promising my first born, yada yada. I don't have a lot of hope, but nothing ventured, etc. I am braced for another smackdown.

I couldn't take no for an answer. It's my nature. I can't stop stirring the pot. After the debacle last week with my sarcastic photo blog at my erstwhile place of employment, you'd think I would learn. Managers with guilty consciences don't take kindly to being called on their transgressions, especially on a website that is open to the world. (Too bad it didn't go viral.... sigh.) But once burned just makes me more stupid, apparently. After getting one rejection from the for-profit behemoth, I'm sending another plea. Please, please, please.... Now these corporate watchdogs will probably remember me forever. Yeah, isn't she that nut that kept pestering us to do that ridiculous study of our dirty laundry--uh, we mean, academic quality? Interview our teachers? I don't think so! Who knows what they would say!?

The excuse they gave me is that letting me interview faculty on campus would be time-consuming and disruptive to students. No argument there. I wasn't planning on interviewing faculty on campus. I was going to find some local place like a library meeting space or even a quiet diner and invite them to meet me at their convenience. The corporate VP made it sound like I was some lurking pervert with cooties. No, we can't allow you on campus. You might cause people to realize we don't care about quality.

I suspect that I am going to have to rethink my sampling approach. This could get messy. The farther I stray from my original proposal, the messier I fear it will get. It may be time to break out the rubber gloves.