April 21, 2013

Unemployment, public speaking, and coffee

In two weeks I will be unemployed. I have mixed feelings about it. When I imagine not having to use obsolete technology to teach keyboarding to bored students, I feel ecstatic. When I think about not having to work a split shift, working in the morning and then again until 10:20 p.m.—and then being back first thing the following morning, as if I could actually function and do a good job with only five or six hours of sleep... when I think of not having to do that, I feel profound relief. But when I think of not seeing my colleagues Sheryl, Mella, and Denny, our little cabal in the Business/General Education department, then I feel really sad. And when I imagine the final paycheck I will receive on May 2, I feel sick.

Mixed feelings. Happy and sad. Excited and terrified. I'm so disconnected from my body I have no idea what stress might be doing to me. Something is going on, I'm sure, but my brain hasn't caught up yet. I'll probably realize the toll stress has taken when I wake up on May 3 with no hair. Or covered in hives. One doesn't skate blithely unscathed through life-changing events. Death, divorce, and loss of a job rank high on the trauma scale. And public speaking, don't forget public speaking.

Did I ever tell you about my public speaking debacle? It happened in 1991, I think. Here's my suggestion for overcoming one's fear of speaking in public. Join Toastmasters, sign up for a speech contest, and then stand up unprepared in front of 100 people and forget your speech halfway through. To really get the full effect, slink off stage in abject shame. If the ground doesn't open up and swallow you whole at that point, if the hand of god doesn't smite you for being an idiot at that moment, then you realize you can live through anything. You've pretty much survived the worst social humiliation you will ever experience. If I were completely honest, which I sometimes am, I'd say that forgetting that speech partway through was worse than living through the two and a half weeks of my dad dying. Proving again that for the chronic malcontent, self-obsession is the word of the day. Every day.

I've started drinking coffee again. That is one sign that I'm going crazy. Just one cup per day, so far... one very strong cup of French Roast with nothing in it, no milk, no sugar, nothing. There's a joke here, which I will attribute to the great poet and performance artist Linda Albertano: She said she likes her men the way she likes her coffee: cold and bitter. I always chuckle when I think of that joke, which is pretty much every time I drink coffee. It's only funny because I have no interest in being in a relationship with anyone, bitter or otherwise.

Back to the unemployment tornado looming on my horizon. I signed up for unemployment online, although there were some questions in their online tool that didn't quite fit my situation, so I expect I will get a phone call or email from some irate underpaid Oregon Employment Department representative, who will rip me a new one in the process of signing me up. Oh well. I'll bend over and take it. Desperation makes people put up with a lot. Poor people don't argue: they know not to bite the hand, etc. I will be one of them soon, so I'm practicing now. Yes sir, no ma'am. Sorry, sorry. My error, my mistake.