April 12, 2013

Do what you love and you'll probably starve... or not

The last time I had an entrepreneurial seizure, it did not go well. That was a long time ago (1981) in a galaxy far far away (Los Angeles). Now that I am staring down the barrel of unemployment, I remember my past self-inflicted self-employment massacre, and my terror is compounded. I wish they made bullet-proof vests to ward off attacks of idiocy. Maybe that is what aluminum foil hats are for.

Time out. My neighbor sounds like she is giving a fashion show to her dog. She's strutting back and forth on her hardwood floors in what I suspect is a pair of chunky-wood platforms. I'm too sexy for my shoes. I hope she is getting ready to go out.

Last night I heard her growling in the basement. I couldn't tell if she was just angry, or hurt and angry, so I ran down there to see what was going on.

“There's a quarter stuck in the washer,” she groaned, banging on the coin slot. While she ran to get a knife from her kitchen, I peered at the coin slot. Yep. Jammed good and tight. Wouldn't go in, wouldn't come out. No laundry tonight, Pumpkin. While she poked at the slot with the knife, her little gray poodle patted me repeatedly on the backs of my thighs with his front paws. I ignored the dog, and wondered if perhaps the human might use the knife on me, considering I interrupted her noisy coitus a couple weeks ago by pounding on the wall that separated my angry hammer from her headboard.

We both agreed the coin slot was a lost cause. I suggested she call the landsharks. We adjourned to our respective corners, if not friends, then at least no longer adversaries. Well, her dog likes me. That is a start.

I emailed the landsharks today, just in case she didn't, and earlier today I saw George in the basement, talking on his cellphone while he dismantled the coin box. I was leaving. He didn't see me. When I came back, he'd left a stack of quarters, and a note pointing out the one coin that wasn't actually a quarter. I don't know what it was. It looked like funny money. Maybe Canadian. I left it all there on the washer. I am content to be an observer. I only engaged last night because I thought she might have been injured. Or that she might have destroyed the washer. Actually, I don't know why I engaged. I guess it was a way of expressing my chagrin at interrupting her lovemaking.

Back to the main topic—me. My pending entrepreneurial experiment. I'm having some brain trouble. I can picture actions I need to take, and I've got lists in triplicate, but my brain can't seem to translate the actions I plan to take into actual income. In other words, I can imagine a bank account full of cash, but I can't see how my actions will put it there. I think I have a mental block placed there by years of flogging a business I hated. I used to sew clothes for a living—you could call me a former fashion designer or you could call me a former seamstress, and both would be accurate. The problem was that I hated to sew (still hate to sew), and thus I learned to associate earning with doing something I hated.

But that was years and years ago, way back in ancient times. Surely my brain has evolved since then? Or disintegrated? Or embarked on a new tangent? It's a new millennium, for crying out loud. Nothing is the same. Still, how I handle earning as an entrepreneur remains to be seen, and I know, don't call me Shirley.

Ten years of working for someone else has meant no hassles with invoices, collections, complaints, or worries about when the money will appear. Working for the career college is a different kind of earning mystery, where performing my teaching job has been totally disconnected from receiving my direct-deposited paycheck. Magic. As an entrepreneur, I will have to get my hands dirty again. I will have to initiate invoices, follow up with statements, ask for deposits, handle cash, figure out PayPal... it's all so... messy.

Well, the good news, I am strong enough to handle it, according to Dr. Tony, my ebullient naturopath. Yesterday he dosed me with some white pellets, yanked on my right leg (really!), and pronounced me whole, see you in two months, you are on the maintenance plan. And to really put a shine on the bright side, in three weeks, there will be no more commute to Clackamas, no more in-services, no more split shifts, no more nutty professors, no more whining students, no more outdated textbooks, no more clogged toilets, no more mismatched clocks, no more mind-numbing graduation ceremonies... No more. The few people I've grown to love, I will still stay in touch with after we leave, and the rest, all the rest of it, I am content to let go with my blessing.

May we all be free from suffering, and may we all find peace. Now let's break out that champagne!