July 13, 2014

I am my brand; my brand is me

Solopreneurs work alone, by definition. That means we are the face of our business (...and the hands, feet, wide butt, and bulging belly). We not only represent our business, we are our business. There are no data entry snoids or social media geeks working in the back bedroom. There's nobody but us. Like it or not, we are our brand. As I sit here in my muggy cave of an apartment, looking across the gloom at my plywood shelves and dusty books, as I hike up my pajama pants to my knees and put another cool rag on the back of my neck, I think, wow, if this is my brand, then I am in deep doo-doo.

Thunderstorms rolled through today and left some fresher air. I was going to go out in it, but I was felled by the dregs of a migraine brought on by some food substance as yet unidentified. After I woke up from a nap (during which I met god, believe it or not—whoa, what was that substance!?), I made the mistake of looking at a job search site. As sometimes happens, I found a listing for a job that I could see myself in, and then I felt compelled to take some action and got hopelessly bogged down in customizing my resume, writing a cover letter, and crafting an essay about why I'm the best person for the job. I never think I'm the best person for any job, so right away my effort was doomed. My enthusiasm melted away, and I ended up on Facebook promoting my 40th high school reunion.

Whenever I feel like this, I find myself singing There's a place for us... in an off-key quavery voice fueled by a forlorn hope that there might actually one day be a place for me. It's futile. Both the singing and the dreaming. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be fretting over finding the perfect job. I know enough now to know that any job is better than no job.

Meanwhile, I've been editing a series of chapters for some music educator who is blazing through his dissertation on the history of choral music in America, a topic I know nothing about, in Turabian format, which is a style I know nothing about. Luckily for me, this author is a very good writer, so I'm mostly fixing his tables and footnotes and curly quotation marks. That means I'm making good money per hour. No complaints. Except I still complain, because that is what I do.

I don't really need a brand. I just need some clients. Once they know me, they will trust me. When they trust me, they will recommend me to others. That is how it works in this business. They won't care that I have a fancy logo or a slick website. They won't even care if I have a business card. They won't care that I work in my pajamas and have hair sticking out of my nose while I'm Skyping. Am I right? Think about it. You grant a lot of slack to people you like and trust. In fact, if they are slightly eccentric, you will justify your opinion about them by embracing their eccentricities and defending their quirks to others. In time, a benevolent mystique will develop around their name. Their logo, no matter how awful, will become precious, like Pez. At that point, they could Skype naked and no one would care.

That's the kind of brand I want. I guess I could save a lot of time and just take my clothes off now.