March 12, 2013

I hide my anxiety with maniacal laughter

Three weeks into the term. The evening Human Resources Management class, the one that was having trouble last week, got on track and started steaming ahead, all systems go. The young man who had the agenda, who just couldn't make room for anyone else's vision, finally came to his senses, after a weekend to ponder his plight. He opened the team meeting with a sweet and heartfelt apology, which worked wonders, and that was that.

The daytime class, on the other hand, hit a wall today. It was painful to watch. Teresa, who had been absent last Thursday, was back, and true to form went head-to-head with the young slender blonde (I forget what I named her in a previous post... Lisa? Leisl? Lulu? I can't remember. Let's call her Lulu today, that name seems to fit.) Lulu is just young and stubborn enough to not know when to back down. In other words, she hasn't learned yet how to pick her battles. So when Teresa smacked her down with some verbal abuse disguised as teasing, Lulu rose to the bait and blurted out what could have been the undoing of the team.

“We got along fine without you last week!” she declared hotly.

Teresa didn't hesitate one moment. “I can leave if you want,” she said. But she didn't get up.

Lulu backed down. “I didn't mean it like that.”

For a moment the team teetered on the brink of disintegration. When Teresa didn't leave, Dina or whatever her name is—the older gal who is the only one with a lick of sense in my opinion—cautiously shifted the topic to the project. Steve, the only man on the team, remained stoically silent throughout the altercation. Pretty soon all four adjourned to the computer lab to work on their proposal. I stayed behind, which I usually don't do; I was very tired and not interested in watching the group fight off a meltdown.

After class, after the others had left, Dina said to me, “Well, that was intense.” That, I recognized, was her careful request to be heard. I listened, giving my best imitation of someone who cares, while she described trying to get Steve and Lulu to help her write the proposal for their project. “Lulu kept checking her phone, and Steve spent the whole time looking up Keurig coffeemakers!” She resented having to be the mean mom to the two members of the team that seemed to be willing to participate. Teresa was off typing something else, although she spent a fair amount of time in the hall trying to make an appointment with a doctor at OHSU. I couldn't help but overhear. I'm sure everyone heard. Not our business that she is married! Who would have imagined it: Pondering Teresa as a blushing bride makes me stop and wonder if there is any sense in the universe. Maybe I'm just not getting the joke.

This evening. I went online to simplyhired.com and found a job worth applying for. I started gathering my materials. I hate jobhunting. I always feel so inadequate. But nothing ventured, etc., so I went through the motions, skilled at bla bla, adept at yada yada, willing to hardy har har. As I was getting ready to upload, I realized I had given them the outline they requested, but for their duties, not for their list of requirements. Oops. Good thing I saw that before I sent it. Attention to detail... right. It's late, what can I say. I'm tired, I'm bored, I just want it all to be over.

But tomorrow I get to get up and do it all again. Am I complaining about being alive, when we all know what the alternative is? No, I'm laughing, really.