November 16, 2012

Feeling blue? Lift some weights

Apparently there was a salmonella recall on Trader Joe's peanutbutter. I didn't get the memo, so followed a couple crappy days. I lived. End of story. My solution was to go to ground (bed) as much as possible. That's my solution for every challenge. Even on good days, that is how I cope with the delicate chore of navigating life. Bed. Especially this time of year, when the light is dim and the rain is cold. If I could just go to bed and wake up next spring, no, make it early summer...

My father, on the other hand, used a different technique to cope with the blues. He used to lift weights. In fact, lifting weights was his answer to every problem. Heart disease? No problem, a few bicep curls will take care of it. Diabetes? Let me just get busy with my lats. Look at me go!

He kept a set of dumbbells near his TV chair, and whenever I visited, he would make a show of pulling one out and demonstrating his strength. For an old guy, his upper body was well developed. His lower body, that was a different story. He hated to walk; the older he got and the more wobbly he got, the less he wanted to walk. So his legs dwindled to sticks and in the end he couldn't carry all that upper body weight on those skinny weak stick legs. He fell. He broke his hip. He died.

I sometimes wonder if the just muscle through philosophy is what killed him. Who knows. I don't think my just go to bed philosophy is any healthier; probably it is less healthy, since at least he was occasionally elevating his heart rate, while I, in bed, am doing a fair imitation of a corpse. Not exactly what you would call aerobic exercise. Except in my dreams.

Ever since Hurricane Sandy, I've been having visions of disaster. Impending catastrophe. I've never subscribed to the end of days, doom and gloom position, but watching the people cope with the aftermath of the storm, I realized while my home may not be destroyed by a flood, it is possible I may lose everything in an earthquake, if it is as big as the experts are predicting. Even more likely would be a fire. My new neighbor, the silent one, hung up a plaque by her backdoor: Peace be here. Plus there's a windchimey looking thing. That probably means she uses candles. Whoosh! I can see it now.

I visited my mother. We had a conversation about what we would take if our places caught fire. I watched her run around looking for stuff: checkbook, cash, phone numbers. In short order she was overwhelmed. I was, too. Who can really prepare for a disaster? We can't control it. We don't know what it will look like or when it will happen. All we can do is reinforce our foundations, buy some fire extinguishers, and pack a bug-out bag. Or lift some weights. Or go to bed.