September 11, 2012

What to do when students cry

It's getting down to crunch time at the career college, and students are weeping in the halls, dripping on keyboards, bogarting the tissue boxes. Oh, woe, woe is me, it's too much homework, I don't have time, the computer crashed, my teachers won't help me, I lost my flashdrive, my aunt died, my dog died. Alas, alackaday. Please, can't you make an exception for me? I'm special!

Some students have good reasons to cry. Take Gina, for example. She's an older gal, here on a voc rehab scholarship. Her computer skills are nil. She doesn't read well, and retains little. She's terrified she'll fail Excel, and with a little more than two weeks to go, it is not looking good. Today Rosie, the program director, pulled me out of class and asked me about Gina's progress. Rosie doesn't know Gina, but she's heard about Gina, apparently, from other people that Gina has approached for help.

“There she is right there,” I said, as Gina came back from a break, looking beat. She had just found out she failed my Excel test. “Would you like to talk with her?” Rosie said yes, so I invited Gina out into the hallway and introduced them.

“How can we help you?” asked Rosie in a compassionate voice, and the floodgates opened. Between sobs, Gina explained her dilemma: She has three other computer classes, but Excel is kicking her ass. She can't follow the book, she's afraid of making a mistake, and she can't remember things. I stood with my arms folded across my chest thinking, I'm a lousy teacher, what can I do to fix this? Hell, she could be me!

It's a good thing I don't get squeamish when people cry. (All those years in 12 Step meetings finally pay off.) People cry for good reasons, and I've learned to let them. I am not afraid of tears. I know what it feels like to be faced with an impossible task, where failure is unacceptable. To weep is a natural reaction. When students cry, most of them are just expressing their frustration and fear. I get it. I've come close a few times myself over the long years of my doctoral journey.

Rosie made soothing noises, and Gina quietly wept as people walked around us, as if what she had was catching. Fear. Maybe it is catching. When I went back into class, the noise level was subdued. Heads were down over their books, fingers tapping on keyboards. Everyone knew what was happening. Train wreck in progress.

Most students don't resort to tears for manipulation purposes because they know other tactics are more effective. Making excuses, for example. Some of these students are so creative! If they spent that energy doing their work... well. I admit, I'm gullible, but after nine years of this crap, I've learned to watch carefully. I pay attention to patterns: missed classes, tardiness, late assignments, general flakiness... actions always say more than words. 

Other natural reactions when faced with an impossible task and an immovable deadline are to lie, cheat, steal, and borrow. The next couple weeks will reveal the depths to which students will sink to extricate themselves from the impossible situation. Even though it is unsettling to discover my students are cheating, I totally understand why they do it. How many times have I used the I'm-special argument to try to persuade someone to cut me some slack, give me a pass, or just give me some sympathy? Oh, poor Carol, her life is so hard, she deserves a second chance. Some of our students do deserve a second chance. Most of them are running on the thin edge of disaster every day, a heartbeat away from homelessness. In fact, one of them was so stressed out yesterday, she was having heart problems. We called the paramedics. I presume she lived.

Most of them have only themselves to blame if they fail a class. Sometimes I want to smack them and say, Get over yourself! You chose this, no one is forcing you to to school. If you don't like it, you can vote with your feet. Then I remember that many of these students are in school so they can get their voc rehab money or federal student loan stipend, so they can pay the rent, put gas in the car, food on the table. Or buy drugs, go out drinking, and bail their boyfriends out of jail. (Hey, I heard it from a reliable source. Gives new meaning to the term higher education.) Every one has a story. Some have happy endings. And some end in tears.